Rawhide Roper

Everyone’s favorite horse is gentle, trustworthy and easy to be around and that would describe Rawhide Roper perfectly; this fourteen year old, red dun gelding owned by Tony Street comes in as Garner Equine’s patient to spotlight this month.

Roper is Tony’s partner for ranch work, trail rides, Sheriff’s Posse gatherings and grandkid entertainment.  A few months ago Tony was enjoying the beautiful day watching his horse graze in the pasture, when he glanced a few minutes later and saw that Roper had his front feet through the pipes in the cattle guard.

Trying not to panic, Tony got to Roper quickly in hopes to get him out safely.  After calming both of their nerves, Tony got a halter on his frightened horse and with one big lunge Roper jumped free of the cattle guard and to the safety of the ground on the other side.  He managed to make it out with only a few superficial scrapes on his legs.  Tony was very relieved with the outcome, and as a precaution, decided to have Dr. Seale give Roper a thorough examination for any damage that he could not visibly see.

At the hospital, Dr. Seale went over Roper thoroughly looking for any injuries that might have been sustained in the accident; while evaluating his gate at a walk it was clear that Roper’s right front leg was not normal. After thorough diagnostics, it was evident that Roper had a torn transverse pectoral muscle.  This muscle (as well as others) is responsible for keeping the front leg close to the body (adducted).  This muscle being torn was allowing his front leg to separate and rotate out too far from his body wall.

The treatment plan for Roper was discussed; he would be on short term steroids for swelling, followed by long term phenylbutazone and have ninety days of stall rest, with periodic lameness exams to monitor improvement.  Since Roper would need to stay confined for that length of time Tony elected to leave his horse at the clinic for daily treatments.  Roper’s ninety day evaluation was when Dr. Seale decided he was ready for some exercise and muscle strengthening.

Roper went to the aquatred for thirty days of swimming to slowly rehabilitate his torn muscle and get some needed exercise.

At his last check up, Roper was sound and Dr. Seale released him to return to normal use.  Tony and the grandkids were ready to start riding again and they have been on many outings since his recovery.